20 October 2012

Doll - Hakurei Reimu - Nemu Matsukura ver.

The Shrine Maiden of Paradise Take Two – Hakurei Reimu Nemu Matsukura ver.



Alright!
Today we get to take a look at a figure of my favorite Touhou girl once more, Kotobukiya’s Hakurei Reimu!


Just to make sure, everyone knows what Touhou is right?
No, it’s not some anime with cute girls in overly frilly and eccentric outfits.
Why of course it is a bullet curtain, “danmaku” , styled shoot ‘em up developed by good old Zun the one member Team Shangai Alice. Zun does the interesting feat of taking care of the programming, design, music and art of the every mainline game.


Not only is Reimu my faovrite girl but her battle theme from the eighth game, Imperishable Night, is my favorite Touhou song which you can listen to in the video above.
On a related note, I dislike fighting Reimu in Impereshable Night, I find her spell cards rather annoying. I have a hard time being able to hit her even more so when she is cheating zipping about the screen. Much rather fight Marisa while flashy her spells cards are not too bad.


This figure is named after Nemu Matsukura who was the illustrator for the Touhou manga, Eastern and Little Nature Deity. According the Touhou wiki she stopped working as the illustrator due to health reasons, the manga did continue under a different illustrator and a name change.


This figure reflecting her style is a reminder of one of my favorite things about Touhou. Whether it is ZUN himself, the legions of fans creating their own material, or simply the people who enjoy the games we all give the Touhou characters our own take.


This figure by Kotobukiya is actually based on a kit that looks essentially the same. Glad Koto went and made it a regular PVC release since I just don’t deal with garage kits and stuff like that.


I’m quite fond of the expression this Reimu has as it changes my perception of the figure. From some angles it simply looks like a smile, on another that smile is more akin to a smirk add to that the talismans in her hand and it makes me think she is ready for battle.
Lose yourselves in the gap of my boundary ordinary magician!










From head to toe I’m quite pleased with this figure, there are no glaring issues with the actual quality of the figure.
Although, exilehero did say Reimu’s legs look kinda lanky but I think they look just fine. If there is one major flaw this figure has is that Reimu is wearing panties instead of bloomers, what is this blasphemy in my Touhou?




If you look really closely you can find some rough edges such as Reimu’s finger nails, the talismans or her bow. Although it is the kind of thing that seems really noticeable only when you are looking through a macro lens and is really nearly invisible when looked at with the human eye.


In closing, I like Reimu, I like this figure and I think Kotobukiya did a nice job with it.