20 October 2012

Doll - Hakurei Reimu

The Shrine Maiden of Paradise – Gift’s Hakurei Reimu

Smile :D
The Eternal Shrine Maiden welcomes you to paradise!
I’m so pleased to say I acquired this figure, after all Reimu is my favorite Touhou girl. Since I have no idea how familiar people really are with Touhou let me take a few lines to talk about it.


Touhou was originally a series of danmaku, bullet curtain, type shooter games with a few exceptions here and there. The main series is a one man effort by the creator ZUN, who does all art, music, programming and design for each release.


If you ever frequent places that have to do with anime, manga, or Japanese games, the you might have encountered Touhou in the form of fan created materials, that span from more games, mangas, doujinshi, music videos, and even anime.
What got me interested in Touhou was a single game play video followed by all the fan material that I came across.


I mentioned that Reimu is my favorite girl, there are several reasons for this.
There are things such as her mostly indifferent personality who treats everybody the same regardless of whether they are humans, demons, or whatever they might me.
Even so, she still takes her duty seriously and will go beat you up if you misbehave, Touhou 8  happily demonstrates that when you might encounter her as that one boss.


Another reason I love Reimu is a similar trait she shares with loli Gundam magical girl Nanoha, that would be the embodiment of “defeats means friendship”.
Even if the world is almost destroyed or what not due to the actions of the antagonists of the games, it pretty much ends with everyone having a tea party together.


Another reason is definitely her music theme in the main series of games.
Touhou as whole has excellent music, just taking a look at the tvtropes.org music page will demonstrate that.
Even so, I think Reimu’s theme starting all the way back with the PC-98 incarnation, the amazing remixed Touhou 8 version by ZUN, the odd fan take on it, or the interpretations that are just plain godly to me is one of the best.


About the figure itself this was released back in April as an AmiAmi exclusive or something along those lines by Gift for a retail price of 7140 yen.


This figure it was based on a garage kit, over all there are some slight differences such as the inclusion of the more accurate bloomers than the regular panties the garage kit had.





As my first Gift figure, I’m quite pleased with all aspects of the figure, the sculpting, the detailing, the shading, the painting and the accuracy of the character design.
Which in this case appears to be Reimu’s appearance from Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object.
One thing to mention though, on the white parts such as the sleeves, there is a shade of red, I’m not sure if this was intentional or a painting defect though, either way it doesn’t bother me that much.


What attracted me to this figure besides being Reimu was her face, for some reason I really like how the face looks. As my first scaled PVC Touhou and Reimu figure I’m truly pleased, I do wonder if Gift will release any others in the future.


I’m glad that I finally got this little informative rant out, and that I did a photo shoot for Reimu. Specially since I haven’t really since anyone else do one for her.
Hopefully you enjoyed reading and looking at these pictures and might wet your toes in the Touhou universe.


One last picture of the figma, just because I love that face.